Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Background Image


The Engineering and Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of the Town's sewage collection systems working in cooperation with Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA). There are six sewage treatment facilities within the Town limits:

  • Amherstburg Wastewater Treatment Plant
  • Big Creek Treatment Plant
  • McLeod Sewage Treatment Plant
  • Bob-lo Sewage Treatment Plant
  • Edgewater Lagoons
  • McGregor Lagoons

Basement Flooding

If you have a basement, it is at risk of flooding - even if it has never flooded before. Daily, the risk is low; however, it still exists, especially during a heavy rainstorm or rapid snowmelts.

With increasingly frequent and severe weather events related to climate change, it is essential that residents take the appropriate action to reduce the risk of basement flooding on their own private property.  On September 25, 2017, Council approved a Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program to provide residents with financial assistance.

Click here for details on the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program. 

To better understand the causes of basement flooding and to learn ways to protect your house, the Town has prepared a Sewer Surcharging and Basement Flooding Information brochure.

Water and Sewer Rates

New water and sewer rates are approved by Town Council annually. The Town of Amherstburg reads the water meters and sends the information to Essex Powerlines Corporation to issue billings for water and sewer use.

For a complete list of fees and charges associated with water services, please refer to the 2024 User Fee Schedule.

Recent Wastewater Treatment Plant Bypass or Overflow Events:

Please click here for the latest Bypass report

After Hours Sewer Emergencies

If you wish to report a problem during regular business hours, please call the Engineering and Public Works Department at 519-736-3664.

If you require immediate assistance and are calling after 4:00 p.m. on a weekday or on the weekend, please call 519-561-6365.