Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Background Image
Feedback

Heritage Designations

Below are Heritage Designations located in Amherstburg. For those with an '*', click the pull down for more information.

Here is a mobile friendly map for exploring Amherstburg's heritage designated sites. 

Note: some sites are public (fees may apply) while others are privately owned and not accessible.

225 Brock Street - St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church*

The grand Neo-Gothic tower was completed in 1869 as an addition to the original 1844 church structure. More information on the history of the church can be found here.

4441 Concession 4 South - Honor House

Built in 1920.

7860 County Road 20 - Methodist Church*

Built in 1892 it was also known as the Little White Church and the Malden Cultural and Community Centre.

6790 County Road 50 - Lewis Arner Homestead*

Built in 1888.

7143 County Road 50 - John Bratt House

Built in 1877.

214 Dalhousie Street - Park House*

The Park House was built in 1796 at the mouth of the Rouge River in Detroit. It was dismantled and floated downriver to Amherstburg, where it now resides. 

Today, the Park House is a museum that depicts the social history of Amherstburg and surrounding area.

Public - fee may apply.

www.parkhousemuseum.com

The Park House Museum Facebook Page

214 Dalhousie Street - Pensioners Cottage*

By mid 1840's, the importance of Fort Malden had dwindled and the British Government no longer wanted the expense of maintaining a regular garrison there. Earl Gray, the Colonial Secretary enrolled pensioners in the British army. These pensioners would not only serve as a military presence to maintain the posts and provide security where needed, but they and their families would also contribute to the settlement of the colony and the local economy.

On July 4, 1851, eighty two Pensioners with their wives and children arrived at Fort Malden aboard the steamer Hope! They took up temporary quarters in the barracks until their single-story, wood frame cottage of approximately 18 x 22 feet. The cottage consisted of a combined living room/kitchen with a stove for heating and cooking, and one or two small bedrooms.

The Pensioners Cottage is part of the Park House Museum.

Public - fee may apply

224 Dalhousie Street - Commissariat (Walter Callam Residence)*

 

This building originally functioned as an office for Fort Malden. The structure serves as an example of the standardized bungalow, a construction style implemented by the British military during the 1830s.

Today, the Provincial Marine Re-Enactment Unit opens up the Commissariat's doors to the public frequently.

Public

242 Dalhousie Street - King's Navy Yard Park*

Designated as a Bi-Centennial International Peace Garden, the King's Navy Yard Park was once a shipyard for the Provincial Marine. Today you can take a stroll along the water, watch freighters pass by or snap a photo of the colourful Rhododendron's and lovely gardens. Be sure to check out the International Peace Sculpture and the Provincial Marine Monument.

Public

252 Dalhousie Street - Salmoni Building*

The site of the original Salmoni Building remains a heritage property although the building is a modern condo with a faux heritage facade.

266 Dalhousie Street - Gordon House*

This Georgian style home from the early military period is one of the last remaining merchant houses along the river in Amherstburg.

It was home of the Project H.M.S. Detroit and carried out the activities of promoting and preserving the Town's legacy as a shipbuilding and military community.

Today, it houses the Amherstburg Tourism Department, the Amherstburg Chamber of Commerce, and River Lights.

Public

267 Dalhousie Street - Bullock's Tavern*

Today this building is home to the Artisan Grill.

Public

273 Dalhousie Street - Jones China Shop*

This two-storey brick building was likely built by Peter Taylor in 1849. By 1855, Peter's brother-in-law, Alexander Menzies, was selling dry goods, groceries, and fancy goods here. This building has always enjoyed commercial use.

Today this building is home to the cozy English Style pub Lord Amherst where you can enjoy traditional pub-style food.

Public

 443 Dalhousie Street - John G. Kolfage Homestead
 

449 Dalhousie Street - Murray Smith Residence

 

455 Dalhousie Street - R. Robertson Residence*

This residence exhibits the vernacular style in Southern Ontario in the 19th century. Notable attributes include the Tuscan column front façade with overall Georgian symmetry.

459 Dalhousie Street - Garnet Fox Residence*

Home of the former Mayor, Garnet Fox whose vision of a heritage community has led to the protection, preservation and conservation of the Town of Amherstburg's cultural heritage value.

483 Dalhousie Street - Jarmin McQueen House*

This residence, constructed in 1912, exhibits Spanish architectural influences. Historically, the home has strong ties with the maritime culture of the town.

525 Dalhousie Street - Bellevue House*

As the home of Robert Reynolds, commissary to the British Garrison at Fort Malden, this property possesses historic and contextual value in its relationship with the War of 1812. This large brick structure is also one of few remaining examples of Georgian Architecture in Ontario.

563 Dalhousie Street - Thomas Boyle House*

This house, designated by renowned architect John A. Maycock, is a classic example of late 19th century Victorian architecture. Key exterior attributes include stretcher bond brickwork, gingerbread mouldings on the gable, and a stained glass transom.

669 Front Road North - Thomas Ouellette Carriage House

 

671 Front Road North - Thomas Ouellette Manor

 

232 George Street - First Baptist Church

 

109 Gore Street - Lloyd Brown Residence

 

193 Gore Street - Gibb House

 

197 Gore Street - Blacksmith Shop

 

207 Gore Street - Bondy Residence

 

217 Gore Street - Ralph Jimmerfield Residence*

This home, an example of the 'salt box' design, was designated in the 1970s as the 'Ralph Jimmerfield Residence' after former owners. George Crawford a Kentuckian of Cherokee and African descent and a carpenter by trade, came to Amherstburg in the early 1840s. He bought this property in 1851 and his descendants remained here for over 90 years. Crawford was instrumental in building other homes in the area for fugitive slaves and assisted in the building of the First Baptist Church circa 1845.

246 King Street - Church of God in Christ

 

266 King Street - Lighthouse Chapel*

The original purpose of this limestone building, which now functions as a church, was to serve both as a schoolhouse for the Senior Catholic Boys of St. John the Baptist Parish and an activities hall.

273 King Street - Nazrey A.M.E. Church*

This vernacular fieldstone church was built in 1848 by refugee slaves settling in Amherstburg. It has been designated as a National Historic Site for its significant heritage value.

This site is part of the Amherstburg Freedom Museum.  

Public - fee may apply

277 King Street - Amherstburg Freedom Museum*

The Museum complex, (consisting of a log cabin, the Nazrey African Methodist Episcopal Church (circa 1848), and exhibited artifacts), preserves our region's Black Heritage from African origins to the present day. There is a focus on the Underground Railroad, There is a focus on the Underground Railroad movement, Canadian Black settlement and the accomplishments and constitutions of the people of African origins who helped shape this great nation.

Public - fee may apply

www.amherstburgfreedom.org

Amherstburg Freedom Museum Facebook Page

281 King Street - Melvin Simpson Residence

 

51 North Street - Clement Parlette House*

Constructed by carpenter Clement Parlette, this charming residence is a rare example of the Gothic Revival Cottage Style in Amherstburg.

9399 North Townline Road - St. Joseph Church*

 

273 Ramsay Street - Dunbar Residence*

This home was built in 1861 by Daniel Smith, to function as his residence and bakery.  For a time, the building was owned and operated by the Amherstburg Library Board. Designated as 'Dunbar Residence'.

284 Ramsay Street - Frank Kehl Residence

 

296 Ramsay Street - Chittenden House (Stone Cottage)*

This structure is the only example of Regency architecture in the area. Key heritage attributes include the encircling arcade with overhanging roof, lack of frontage, and the overall low, street-level nature of the construction. Designated as 'Chittenden House'.

298 Ramsay Street - John Askin Residence

 

317 Ramsay Street - Christ Anglican Church*

Christ (Anglican) Church is one of the oldest religious buildings in Ontario, the first service being conducted in 1819 by Rev. Richard Pollard, who served as chaplain to the garrison at Fort Malden. Built by the Royal Engineers from Fort Malden in 1819, this church contains one of the oldest brick naves in the province.

61 Rankin Avenue - Jepson Duke House

 

73 Rankin Avenue - Captain Allen House*

An example of Gothic Revival architecture, built in 1880 by carpenter Peter Henderson. Features a gabled roof, bracketed bay window and a classic verandah. For many years the home of Captain Christopher Allen, a noted Great Lakes Shipmaster.

140 Richmond Street - Gibson Gallery*

Gibson Gallery was built in 1892 as a Railway Station in the Romanesque style. While the building currently functions as an art gallery, the original function is evident in its structure. The three main divisions of the building: waiting room, ticket office, and baggage room are detectable from the interior.

Public - donations appreciated.

259 Richmond Street - Wallace Smith Residence*

Built circa 1850 for Petronilla Cunningham, designated as the 'Wallace Smith Residence'. This house was rented from 1865 to 1867 as a convent for Sisters of the Holy Names.

232 Sandwich Street South - Amherstburg Public Library

The Public Library, financed by Andrew Carnegie and completed in 1913, was built from limestone extracted from the quarry in Anderdon Township. The elevator on the south side was added in recent years.

Today, still operates as the Essex County Library Amherstburg Branch.

Public

129 Simcoe Street - St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church