Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Background Image

Applications, Licences and Permits

Lottery / Gaming

Are you eligible for charitable gaming licensing?

The eligibility of your organization will be determined by the Policy, Gaming, Licensing and By-law Enforcement Department you are applying to. Charitable registration with Revenue Canada or incorporation as a non-profit organization does not guarantee eligibility for lottery licensing. Eligibility must be determined prior to licensing. An eligibility review will be conducted once an organization completes and submits an application.

Your organization may be eligible if it:

  • Has a purpose to provide charitable services to the residents of Ontario for:
    • Relief of poverty
    • Advancement of education
    • Advancement of religion
    • Other charitable purpose beneficial to the community
  • Has carried out activities consistent with its charitable purpose for at least one year
  • Is located in Ontario
  • Is non-profit​

Examples may include:

  • Hospital foundations
  • Service clubs
  • Youth activities or sports
  • Arts or culture

Organizations that only promote the private interests of their members do not qualify for lottery licensing. This may include but is not limited to:

  • Adult recreation or sports
  • Individual sport teams
  • Unions or employee groups
  • Social clubs
  • Professional associations
  • Political, government, lobbying or advocacy groups

Note to Applicants

Ensure that you read and understand your event Licence Terms and Conditions before proceeding with the application package.
  • This package is used to apply for Town of Amherstburg charitable gaming event licences.
  • Keep a copy of all licence application documents for your records.
  • Activities are regulated by the Criminal Code of Canada, Sections 206 and 207, Ontario Order in Council 1413/08Gaming Control Act, 1992 and Regulations.
  • You may obtain copies of the Gaming Control Act and Regulations, Provincial Information Bulletins, and forms from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) website.
  • For more information about the operation of gaming services by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG), please visit the OLG website​.

Types of Licensable Events

What types of games can a licence be issued for?

Municipalities may issue a licence to charitable organizations for the following events only:

  • Bingo events with prize boards up to $5,500;
  • Raffles with prizes of up to $50,000;
  • Break Open Ticket events;
  • Bazaar gaming events; and
  • Media Bingo. 

What types of games are prohibited?

  • Card Tournaments (eg. Poker, Texas Hold'em, Blackjack)
  • Dice Games
  • Coin Tables
  • Wheel Games
  • Sports Pools 

What is a bingo lottery?

Bingo is a game of chance where players are awarded a prize for being the first to complete a specified arrangement​ of numbers on bingo paper, based on numbers selected at random.

What is a break open ticket lottery?

break open ticket is a game of chance to win instant prizes by revealing a specified arrangement of numbers or symbols. Prizes may be instant prizes or chances to win prizes determined by a subsequent event.

​What is a raffle Lottery?

raffle is a lottery scheme where tickets are sold for a chance to win a prize in a draw.

Licence Application Instructions

  • Your licence application is a legal document and will be returned or delayed if the instructions (below) are not followed or if checklist items (on application) are missing. This may result in the cancellation of your charitable gaming event.
  • The Town of Amherstburg requires a minimum of 15 days processing time for raffle/break open ticket applications and 45 days processing time for eligibility reviews. 
  • Type or legibly print all information.
  • Answer every question completely.
  • Only original forms and signatures will be accepted.
  • Persons signing any licence application must have a good knowledge of the applicable licence terms and conditions.
  • ​It is illegal to print tickets, promote or conduct a charitable gaming event without a licence.

Application Changes

  • If you make changes to your licence application package before you submit it to your gaming and licensing office, each change must be initialed on each document by the licence application signors and other signors of that document.
  • Changes to your submitted licence application package must be made in writing on your organization's letterhead, be signed by the licence application signors and include supporting documents that are affected. Your municipality requires at least two (2) weeks' written notice.
  • Application changes are not automatically approved and may not be permitted.
  • Once your lottery licence is issued, requests for changes will not be considered. Expired licences may not be amended or cancelled.

Incomplete Applications

Please note that all information, including appropriate documentation and fees, must be included with your application. Incomplete packages will be returned to your organization. Your organization cannot print or sell tickets until you are licensed, and all tickets must indicate the licence number. It is your responsibility to notify the gaming and licensing office of any changes to your organization, such as changes to your board of directors, signing officers, programs and services, etc.

Town Hall

271 Sandwich Street South,
Amherstburg, Ontario
N9V 2A5

Hours of Operation:

  • 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays)

Phone: For general information, 519-736-0012. For detailed inquiries about a lottery licence, call (519) 736-0012, ext 2219


Business Licensing

Business licence requirements

Businesses operating in the Town of Amherstburg may require a Business Licence from the Town of Amherstburg's Licensing Department.  The Town regulates different types of businesses for the purpose of health and safety, nuisance control, and consumer protection.

Business Licenses are issued and governed by Town of Amherstburg. 

To find out if your particular business is subject to a Business Licence contact the Licensing Department at 519-736-0012 ext. 2219.

Application and forms

Once you submit the application with the appropriate fee, it is your responsibility to book the required inspections pertaining to your application. 

Taxi Licenses

Taxi Licenses

Taxi Licenses are issued and governed by the Town of Amherstburg's By-law 2012-114

Submit all completed applications to the Licensing Department. 

Refreshment Vehicles and Park Permits

Refreshment Vehicle Operators on Private Commercial Property

Refreshment Vehicles have been growing in popularity in recent years, and offer a wide variety of food and dining options for customers.  The Town of Amherstburg has recognized the need to diversify the food service segment within Town and have developed options to allow operators of Refreshment Vehicles to operate safely while providing a service to residents and visitors. 

A Business License is required in order to operate a Refreshment Vehicle anywhere in Amherstburg. Refreshment Vehicles may include mobile or stationary food trucks, trailers, wheeled portable carts, temporary stands or even bicycles.  A refreshment vehicle is permitted to operate on private property in a Commercial Zone, with the written permission of the property owner. 

The Business Licensing By-Law and Schedule for Refreshment Vehicles are included below:

  • Business Licensing By-Law
  • Business License Application
  • Schedule A-46 Refreshment Vehicles

The requirements for obtaining a license are included in Schedule A-46, all certifications and inspections must be provided with the application prior to opening.  All Refreshment Vehicle licenses are annual licenses and must be renewed yearly with the required fee and application.  If a vehicle is found to be operating in contravention to any of the provisions in the by-law the operator is subject to fines and penalties and may have their license revoked.

Food trucks are permitted to operate between the hours of 7:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. daily.

Refreshment Vehicle operators are required to have an annual inspection conducted by the Windsor Essex County Health Unit, the Town of Amherstburg Fire Department and a Field Approval by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA).

            Windsor Essex County Health Unit:

            Food Safety for Businesses: 


            Phone: 519-258-2146

            Town of Amherstburg Fire Department:

            Phone: 519-736-6500

            Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA):

            Food Trucks:

            Phone: 1-877-682-8772


            Application for Field Approval of Mobile Food Service Equipment


Refreshment Vehicle Operators-Park Permit Lottery

The Town of Amherstburg is making it easier for food trucks to operate in parks.  Town Council has approved the creation of a new Park Permit for Refreshment Vehicles to operate in designated Town owned parks.  Interested operators are required to:

  1. Apply for a Refreshment Vehicle Business Licenses and comply with the licensing requirements, as set out above;
  2. Apply for Refreshment Vehicle Park Permit in order to participate in the annual lottery.  The cost of the Special Event Park Permit is $273/annually.

The locations that have been approved for Park Permits as part of the annual lottery, include:

  1. Toddy Jones Park on Laird, in designated RV location
  2. Malden Centre Park, in designated RV location
  3. Ranta Marina Park, in designated RV location
  4. Wigle Park on North St, in designated RV location
  5. Jack Purdie Park, in designated RV location

The lottery for the 2023 operating season will be conducted at Town Hall on April 13, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.  All Business Licenses and Park Permit applications must be submitted for review no later than, 

April 6, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.  The lottery will be conducted at random, where the first operator pulled, gets to select their desired location.  This process will continue until all operators have selected a location for each month. The operating season will begin on May 1st and end on October 31st .  To learn more about this option, please click on the links below to review the procedure and application.

All operators are required to leave their assigned location in a clean, litter-free, damage-free condition.  If this requirement is not met the permit can be revoked and the site will be restored to its original state at the Operators expense.  Operators must also provide refuse receptacles for any waste that is produced and remove any refuse from the site that results from daily operations. 

For questions about the programs, contact:

Licensing Officer

Phone: 519-736-0012 ext 2219



Town of Amherstburg Civil Marriage Ceremony

The Town of Amherstburg offers Civil Marriage Ceremonies at Town Hall 271 Sandwich St. S, Amherstburg, ON N9V 2A5.

The Town of Amherstburg, through By-Law 2017-101, and the Town Clerks authority offer two (2) qualified Marriage Commissioners that have been designated and trained to conduct Civil Marriages for the Town of Amherstburg, and would act as Officiators to solemnize the ceremony. The civil marriage service will be a non-denominational and solemn ceremony, adhering to the requirements of the Marriage Act.


Obtaining the Marriage Licence

Both applicants must sign the Marriage Licence application form. A Marriage Licence can be issued to one or both of the applicants. One applicant to the marriage may submit the completed
application form provided that the required original identification and documentation for the absent applicant is presented.


Hours of Service

Ceremonies are available from 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.  Services are offered upon availability. 

The civil ceremony usually lasts approximately 30 minutes. The service time booked should be approximately one (1) hour to allow for photo opportunities. Photographers and/or videographers are allowed during the ceremony.

Please note that same day service for civil ceremonies is NOT available. 


Location of Marriage

Ceremonies can be held in the Council Chambers which can accommodate approximately 40 people.  


Ceremony Booking Process

The couple must attend a booking meeting with the Licensing Officer prior to the ceremony. During the meeting, the couple will choose their vows and provide the details of their ceremony. The marriage licence will also be reviewed and prepared. 

To book the meeting, please contact the Licensing Officer at 519-736-0012, extension 2219. The meeting will last approximately 1 hour and the booking agreement will be signed. 

Ceremonies must be booked in person at Town Hall during office hours, 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. All ceremonies must be paid for in full (cash or debit only) during the booking. 


Required Identification

Original identification for both applicants is required. Two (2) pieces of identification MUST be provided for both parties confirming full name, birth date, and signature.

First piece of identification must be one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Current Passport (must show your first name, middle name, and last name)
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card

Second piece of identification must be a photo ID such as:

  • Driver's Licence
  • Current Passport (providing it is not used as the first piece of identification)

Note: All documents must be valid originals, not photocopies. This identification must be provided for both individuals. Documents in a language other than English must be translated by a certified translator.


Marriage After Divorce

If there was a previous marriage and the divorce was dissolved or annulled in Canada you are required to provide the original Certificate of Divorce or Court Certified Copy of the final decree or certificate of divorce. A copy can only be certified by the Court who granted the divorce. A photocopy that has been certified by the court will not be accepted.


Divorced Outside Canada  

If you were divorced outside of Canada, the applicant must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a Marriage Licence can be issued. Please consult with the Clerk's
Office or an Ontario lawyer for information regarding this procedure as it may take several weeks. Further information on this divorce process can be found on the Provincial website at


Widowed Applicants

When an Applicant is a widow/widower, the original Death Certificate or Funeral Director's Statement of Death is required when purchasing a Marriage Licence.



During regular office hours (8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri)             $299.00

Additional costs:
Marriage Licence                                                                   $142.00

 *all prices listed include HST*

All ceremonies must be paid in full prior to the civil ceremony.



  • No refund will be given to couples who cancel the marriage ceremony or fail to appear the day of the ceremony.
  • Marriage Licences are non-refundable.

Eligibility/ Requirements

A Marriage Licence is required to be married in Ontario. Couples must purchase a valid Ontario Marriage Licence within 3 months of the date of marriage. A Marriage Licence may be purchased at the Town Hall during the ceremony booking meeting. You can find more information on requirements for a Marriage Licence as well as the marriage licence application below, under the Related Links section. 

If the Marriage Licence is purchased from another municipality, it must be provided to the officiator no later than one week prior to the marriage ceremony.

Couples are required to provide two witnesses. There is no set minimum age for a person to be a witness to a civil ceremony; the officiator for the ceremony must be satisfied that the witness understands what he/she is signing.

Couples are also responsible for providing a language interpreter, if required, for any language other than English. The persons being married cannot act as the interpreter for the ceremony or cannot be a witness to either party.  


Marriage Ineligibility

The Town of Amherstburg Marriage Commissioners will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows or has reasonable grounds to believe lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances rendering a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental duress
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have consent in writing of both parents)
  • The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • One or both parties are currently married
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage. If the person solemnizing a marriage has any doubts as to the mental capacity of the parties, or one of the parties, he/she may refuse to perform the ceremony.

Inclusive Ceremonies

The Town of Amherstburg offers civil marriage services to all eligible couples, following the June 10, 2003, Ontario Court of Appeal decision, making same-sex marriages legal in Ontario.


Related Links

Getting MarriedGovernment of Ontario

Marriage Licence Application, Government of Ontario  


Liquor Licence Applications


(Permanent Establishments/New Establishments/Temporary Extension Applications)


Liquor Licenses for permanent establishments are granted by the AGCO. As part of the process of applying for a licence, the applicant is required to provide a number of approvals from the municipal authority.


The Licensing Department assists business owners by coordinating municipal approvals (Fire Department, Building Department, Clerk's department). Applicants are required to contact the Health Department directly for approvals required from that authority.


Applicants must obtain an application package directly from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website at or by calling 1-800-522-2876. The package will contain a Municipal Information Form and/or Agency Letter of Approval(s).


The forms must be filled out and brought to the Licensing Department at Town Hall,  together with the completed Municipal Information form a copy of the sketch/plan and a processing fee of $61.00 (to be made by cash, cheque or debit).

The Licensing Department will do the following:

  • Require the applicant to complete the Municipal Information form
  • Receive a copy of the Municipal Information Form and Agency Letter(s) of Approval (as included in the AGCO application package)
  • Receive the processing fee of $61.00
  • Forward the application to Building and Fire division on your behalf
  • Return all forms completed to the applicant


Please allow 3 weeks for the Town to complete the forms.

Special Occasion Permit

A Special Occasion Permit (SOP) is required any time liquor is offered for sale or served anywhere other than in a licensed establishment (other than a private indoor area).  SOP are for occasion, special events only and not for personal profit.


Applicants can obtain an application package directly from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website at or by calling 1-800-522-2876.


The Applicant is required to provide notification of the event (in writing) to the local Municipal Clerk's Department, Police, Fire and Health Department at least 30 or 60 days before the event  informing the authority of the event and identifying any physical boundaries.


Please note: if a tent or marque is used, you must also notify the Building Department in writing.


The Licensing Department will assist Applicants by coordinating these notices to Police, Fire and Building Departments.  Applicants are required to contact the Health Department directly for approvals required from that authority. Please attach a copy of the Application for Special Occasion Permit for our reference.


The Licensing Department will do the following:

  • Receive a copy of the Letters of Notification (Be sure to include copy of SOP Application)
  • Advise applicant of any concerns or issues


Please note: ensure that the Town receives these notices in the time as noted under AGCO guidelines (30 or 60 days)


Submit all completed applications to the Licensing Department located at:

271 Sandwich Street South

Amherstburg, Ontario

N9V 2A5

519-736-0012 ext. 2219

Noise Exemption

Requests for Noise By-law exemption requires the approval of Town Council, therefore, it is necessary for applications to be received at least 30 days prior to the planned event.

An administration fee of $61.00 is payable with the completed application.

Noise exemption applications are also available by contacting the Licensing Department at 519-736-0012 ext. 2219. Please return the completed application with your payment to the Town's Licensing Officer.

Death Certificate

Death Certificates for a death that occurred in Ontario can be obtained online by visiting Service Ontario

To order a death certificate, you will need:

  • First and last name of the person who died
  • Sex of the person who died
  • Date of death
  • Name of city or town in which death took place
  • Parental information about the person who died
  • Spouse or partner information of person who died, if applicable

For further information, phone the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156.

Dog Licenses

You can now purchase your 2024 Dog Tag online.  Please fill out the online application by following the link below:


*Dog tags will be mailed out once payment is received and application is verified.


The Town of Amherstburg's By-law 2022-008 states that all dogs must be licensed yearly on or before April 30th each year and must be renewed annually.


Identification Tags assist with the recovery of lost dogs as they provide a unique identification number that is tracked in our database and provided to our Animal Control Officer.  When your Dog Tag is renewed your pet's record includes the pet owner's address and phone number, as well as your pets tattoos, microchip number, and any other identifying information.


The Dog license application form can also be printed using the following link. 

2024 Dog License Application


Portable Sign Permit

Portable sign shall mean any sign which is not permanently affixed to the ground, building or structure and which is designed with or without wheels, so as to facilitate its movement from place to place.

A Portable Sign Permit is required to display a portable sign on private property in the Municipality.  Completed forms must be submitted to the Municipal office along with the required fee.

Completed Applications and appropriate fees are to be provided to:

Licensing Officer
271 Sandwich St South
Amherstburg, ON

Telephone: 519-736-0012 ext. 2219



An encroachment is an item that is placed, erected or built on the public right-of-way for private use. Common encroachments include parking, fences, underground piping, porches, canopies and signs. Permission from the Town is required for items that encroach. The municipality may authorize the use of portions of the public highway for such encroachments by granting an encroachment agreement.

What is an encroachment agreement?

  • An encroachment agreement refers to a legal and binding agreement between a municipal corporation (Town of Amherstburg) and a property owner whose property adjoins the municipal property. The Council Resolution or Chief Administrative Officer approval requires the owner/tenant to enter into a legal and binding agreement as a condition of approval to use the public right-of-way. In some cases where the tenant applies for the encroachment agreement and who operates a business, a copy of Letters Patent or Articles of Incorporation are required to determine who the principles are who will be signing the agreement.

Will I automatically be granted and encroachment agreement?

  • Once an application is made for permission to encroach, the application will be circulated for comment to affected Town Departments and related agencies where applicable. The encroachment will be assessed for safety, accessibility, sight lines, conformance with Town of Amherstburg Standards and Best Practices, etc. Application does not necessarily mean an encroachment agreement will be granted.

Permission to Encroach

To request permission to encroach on public property, you must complete an application form and submit all application fees. The application form can be picked up from the Licensing and Enforcement Dept., 271 Sandwich St. S, or download the General Encroachment Application (PDF).

You must also provide a drawing illustrating the dimensions and location of the encroachment in relation to the property lines.  Include on the drawing other relevant features such as sidewalks, curbs, driveways, streetscaping items, trees, poles, etc.


Encroachment By-law 2023-061


Licensing and Enforcement

Attn: Encroachments

271 Sandwich St. S

Amherstburg, ON

N9V 2A5

Phone: 519-736-0012 x 2219



Types of Encroachments


Residential Encroachments

  • Residential encroachments are classified as structures (i.e. fences, sheds, walls, etc.), landscape feature, or private utility connection located in the public right-of-way abutting an area zoned R.1 or R.2.

Commercial Encroachments

  • Commercial Encroachments are classified as any structures (i.e. signs, canopy, parking, etc.), landscape feature or private utility connection located in the public right-of-way abutting an area not zoned R.1 or R.2. 

Partially Exempt Organizations

  • Partially exempt organizations are classified as churches, non-profit charities, union halls, schools and similar facilities.


Encroachment Fees


Encroachment Application


Initial Fees (Due at time of application)


$150.00 Application Fee

$270.00 Agreement Fee (Agreement Preparation includes Land Registry costs)

$474.60 Total including HST


Additional Fees (Due Annually)

$50.00 Annual Encroachment Fee


Providing Certificate of Insurance


To protect the Corporation of the Town of Amherstburg from any claims arising from the encroachment, a Certificate of Insurance providing the following coverage is usually required for most above-ground type encroachments:

  • Add The Corporation of the Town of Amherstburg as an additional insured.
  • Liability insurance in the amount of $2 million per occurrence.
  • Evidence must be provided that the policy contains a cross liability clause with respect to the encroachment.
  • The Corporation of the Town of Amherstburg requires 30 days written notice if a policy is altered, cancelled or allowed to lapse.


The following are standard forms issued by the Town of Amherstburg and are to be completed by the applicant's insurance broker:


The Certificate of Insurance must be approved by the Town’s Licensing & Enforcement Department and must specify the encroachment(s); provide a start date and an end date; and time to be renewed each year the encroachment exists.  When the encroachment is removed or is no longer required, it is up to the licensee to notify the Town and request a final inspection to verify that the encroachment has been removed and the right-of-way restored to the satisfaction of the Town’s Manager of Licensing & Enforcement



Short Term Rental

Short-Term Rental Accommodations (STRs) allow for residents to offer a place of accommodation or temporary residence through online platforms.

On May 23, 2023 Town Council passed By-law 2023-059 to regulate Short Term Rentals within the Town of Amherstburg.


The Short-Term Rental Accommodation licensing program was initiated by the Town of Amherstburg to address community concerns and to ensure all rentals operate safely in accordance with the Short-Term Rental By-law 2023-059, the Fire Protection Standards, the Ontario Building Code and Towns By-laws. Residents and property owners who wish to rent their property for a period of 28 days or less are required to obtain a licence.




Short Term Rental Application


Sample of Short Term Renter's Code


Responsible Operation Short Term Rental Sheet


Fire Safety Checklist


Short Term Rental By-law 2023-059


Electrical System Safety Assessment Checklist


Inspection Report - Fuel Burning Appliances


Fire Safety Plan


Submitting Concerns/Complaints 

To report a concern about a Short Term Rental during regular office hours, please contact the Licensing and Enforcement Dept. at (519) 736-0012.

Alternatively, please submit your concern via email to or by registering to our Online Service System; emails and online submissions are monitored outside of regular office hours. Please be advised that all complaints must be submitted in writing.


Short Term Rental Objectives

The STR Licensing By-law objectives include, but not limited to:

  • Ensuring occupants are provided with safe accommodations in terms of fire and building safety
  • Ensuring STR premises are operated and maintained in sanitary and acceptable levels of interior conditions as per Property Standards
  • Ensuring STR Operators are made aware of their responsibilities to comply with Town by-laws and other regulations
  • Protecting the character, amenities and quality of existing residential neighbourhoods
  • Creating a level playing field for all STR Operators and providing enhanced consumer protection


 What is a Short Term Rental?

  • Short Term Rentals are when you stay in a rental space for 30 days or less. This can include renting a private room in a home, an entire home, a seasonal property like a cottage or any other space. Short Term Rentals do not include established accommodations such as bed and breakfasts, hotels, trailer parks or campgrounds.

 What is an STR?

  • STR is the acronym used to refer to Short-term Accommodations in the Town of Amherstburg.  

Does the Short Term Rental Accommodation have to be in my own home?

  • No, the by-law does not require the property owner to live on the same property as an STR.

Is it okay to host in the apartment I rent?

  • Yes, it is okay to use your apartment, or rental unit as an STR as long as the landlord provides written authorization which clearly gives you permission to act as a host or provider, and that the unit you are living in has a Short Term Rental Licence. 

 What about a Short Term Rental at a condominium?

  • Yes, it is okay to host in a condominium as long as you have written authorization from the condominium board, and the landlord if rented, where applicable.

  Do I need to have insurance for my STR?

  • Yes, your insurance company will need to fill out and sign a Certificate of Insurance. You need to include this completed certificate with your application.

 Will my STR be inspected?

  • Yes, under the adopted By-law, the Fire Dept. will attend and complete and inspection in accordance with the submitted Fire Safety Plan.

 How much does a Short Term Rental Licence cost?

  • The initial cost of a Short Term Rental Licence is $550.00 and the cost to renew the Licence annually is $500.00.

 Fire Pit and Open Air Burns

  • This are not allowed on a property that holds a licence for a Short Term Rental.

  Waste and Recycling

  • Amherstburg is a beautiful community - and we want to keep it that way. Proper disposal of garbage and recyclables is essential to keeping our community and waterways clean.


Visit our Garbage and Recycling page to learn more about property disposal of waste and waste collection days and to view the Municipal Waste Calendar.


  • The Town's Short Term Rental By-law requires the applicant to submit a Parking Management Plan that will be reviewed and approved by our Planning Dept. and provides a parking plan without negatively affecting the neighbourhood in which the property is located.


Municipal By-law Enforcement can respond to noise complaints along with the Windsor Police Service.

Please be sure that you're respecting your neighbours by following the following:


  • Loud music, yelling, screaming is prohibited at all times.
  • Persistent noise made by any pet, such as a dog barking, is prohibited at all times.
  • Use of an outdoor hot tub or outdoor pool is prohibited from 11pm till 7am.


  • If you're bringing your pet along to your Short Term Rental property, please ensure that they are under care and control at all times, and that they don't wander onto neighbouring properties.

Who do I call to make a complaint about a Short Term Rental Property?

If you've noticed that a Short Term Renter or a Short Term Rental property owners is violating a By-law or regulation, please let us know.

Issue                                                                                Contact Information

For Municipal Law Enforcement Complaints                         Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

including but not limited to;                                               519-736-0012 extension 2219


  • Long grass and weed
  • Derelict Structures                                                       By emailing the By-law Enforcement Unit
  • Refuse/garbage                                                           at
  • Dog at large
  • Noise Complaint


Contact Town of Amherstburg's

By-law Enforcement Unit.

For structural alternations/additions, a building                    Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

without a permit or septic concerns, please contact              519-736-5408 

the Town of Amherstburg's Building Dept.

For Emergencies such as but not limited to:

  • impaired operation of a motor vehicle
  • out of control burning                                                    Call 9-1-1
  • Dangerous misuse of fireworks
  • Illicit drug use or violence


Public Events

Public Events have a very positive impact on the municipality and the spirit of our community. The Town supports new and existing Public Events that not only boost the economy in our Town, but bolsters the quality of life for our residents and brings new visitors to Amherstburg!

A Public Event on Town property may be defined as, but is not limited to:

  • An event held on Town Property or at Town Facilities
  • An event that is open to the general public with, or without, an admission fee
  • An event that is advertised in the newspaper, media, web, signage, etc.
  • An event that potentially involves a number of attendees and requires special measures put in place for accommodation
  • An event that includes a Special Occasion Permit (serving of alcohol)
  • An event that requires a Building Permit for tents, stages, or other structures
  • An event that requires Police patrol and support


Applications and a detailed Public Events Manual can be found at the link below: 


For more information, please contact:

Jen Ibrahim, Manager of Tourism and Culture

Temporary Patio Extensions

The Town of Amherstburg has passed a By-law allowing for the use of temporary patios. Please submit the required form and all required documentation for consideration by the Town. 


Temporary Patio Application


Temporary Patio Information


Temporary Patio By-law 2024-026


Additional Documents Required


PLEASE NOTE: To complete your application, you must include additional documentation. 


  • Show and label the location of the existing and proposed outdoor patio expansion on a map or image showing the entire property (Google maps are acceptable; staff can provide an air photo of the property to assist you, if needed).


  • Show and label the location of parking places to be removed for the proposed outdoor patio or retail sales area. Please note any accessible parking spaces or walkways, Fire Access Routes or garbage areas, fire hydrants or fire connections on the property in proximity to your proposed patio.


  • Written approval of the land owner and/or landlord authorizing the creation of a temporary patio or retail sales area as specified within this application form.


  • If you are proposing an extension or set up on municipal property you will be required to submit a certificate of general liability insurance naming the Town as an additional insured in the amount of $5,000,000 for licenced patios and $2,000,000 for retail sales.


Requirements for Temporary Outdoor Patios:


  • Proposed temporary outdoor patios or temporary outdoor patio extension must be adjacent to the restaurant.
  • No garbage routes or fires routes will be blocked by any new or expanded patios.
  • Recreation or Entertainment uses are not permitted on any temporary Outdoor Patio.
  • No food or drink preparation shall be permitted on temporary patios.
  • A minimum barrier of 1.2m shall be installed where a patio is adjacent to vehicle movement areas.
  • The design and placement of the temporary outdoor patio shall ensure that the safe movement of pedestrians and vehicles is accommodated on the property in the vicinity of the outdoor patio.
  • Business owners are responsible to obtain and ensure compliance with all relevant permissions including those of the AGCO and landlord.
  • Fire Department connections must be unobstructed.
  • Owners shall provide their liquor licence, if requested by any Officer.
  • The Town of Amherstburg is authorized to inspect all temporary patios and require adjustments to the temporary outdoor patio to address compliance with these requirements and other applicable municipal and provincial regulations.
  • Patios may not be established or expanded onto municipality owned lands without the consent of the Municipality. In order to obtain consent, a site drawing must be submitted illustrating the location, limits and dimensions of the temporary outdoor patio and associated features (barricades, tables, chairs). The owner of the patio business must indemnify the Municipality and provide the Municipality as an additional insured.



Development Services

Building Applications & Permits

 To view the Building Applications & Permits page CLICK HERE.

Planning Applications

 To view Planning Applications page CLICK HERE.