Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Background Image

Service Requests

Decorative: image of a flower bed

Submit a Service Request or Report a Problem

Please note, if you require urgent assistance, please contact the department directly between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays). 

  • Roads and sidewalks: 519-736-3664
  • Water and sewer: 519-736-3664

If you need to contact any of the above for an urgent request after hours, please

call 519-561-6365.

If the problem you are reporting is an immediate threat to health and safety, please call 911.

Submit a Request Online

Have you spotted issues like potholes, leaking water hydrants, cracked sidewalks, or burnt-out street lights?  Many issues with Town of Amherstburg infrastructure can be submitted online as a service request through our service request portal.  Currently residents can only submit Roads, Water or Wastewater issues online.   

 To submit a service request, please use the link below:

Submit a Request Online HERE


Frequently Asked Questions

Tips for entering a service request online.

Entering a service request - help file.

How do I find problem types I can submit?

Start by typing in the problem type into the problem type/issue box at the top of the service request portal.  For example, if you have an issue with a leak, start by typing leak to return all issues you can enter related to a leak.

What types of problems are accepted?

The service request portal is designed to address municipal issues that are non-urgent.  There is a list of problems you can submit within certain categories below.

What can I expect when I report a problem online?

Once you submit your problem online, you will receive a confirmation to the email that you provided.  The email will include a service request ID number.  Please keep this number as a reference.  This number will help the Town and you track your request.

My problem does not fall into one of these categories, what should I do?

If the problem you are trying to submit does not fall into one of the categories provided please contact the office at 519-736-3664.  

How will my information be used?  Will it be kept confidential?

Personal Information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001 P.S.O. c45, and in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Problem Types and Examples


hydrant leaks, service leaks, service locate, flooding, no water, meter install


Potholes, dead animal, streetlight out, street sweeping , sidewalk issues, waste collection, traffic light issue, winter snow and ice control  

Garbage, Recycle, Yard Waste Collection

If your garbage, recycle or yard waste is missed on your scheduled collection day, contact Windsor Disposal Services at 519-944-8009 or the Engineering and Public Works Department at 519-736-3664.

White Goods Collection

The Town has a White Goods collection  on the 4th Thursday of every month.  Residents need to contact the Public Works Department in order to be placed on the list for collection.

White goods items include:  Stoves, fridges, freezers, washers, dryers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, trash compactors, barbeques, microwaves and other metal items.

Items that are not accepted as White Goods include: Televisions, computers, large furniture or any other electronic items.

Please place the item out to the curbside the night before the collection day.

To schedule a pick-up, please call the Public Works Department at 519-736-3664, no later than 4pm the Friday before the collection day.